You’ll be joining a team of dedicated Surfrider volunteers to help create and manage content for the Surfrider Foundation Santa Barbara Chapter’s website (https://santabarbara.surfrider.org/) and Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter accounts. Communication is an essential component of our work, and we’re looking for a volunteer to help grow and support a community dedicated to protecting and enjoying the world’s oceans, waves, and beaches.
Content we share includes:
- Upcoming Surfrider events including chapter meetings, beach clean-ups, socials, and public outreach events (currently on hold due to COVID-19)
- Announcements of new Ocean Friendly Restaurants in Santa Barbara
- Posts from Surfrider national headquarters
- News articles (especially local Santa Barbara news) about environmental issues such as sea level rise
- National environmental observances like World Ocean Day
- Nice images of our local beaches
- Volunteer appreciation shout outs
What does this position entail?
- Work with chapter volunteers and Executive Committee members to develop content for social media posts and keep the chapter website up-to-date.
- Plan and schedule weekly posts on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Help the chapter meet its goal of a balanced and consistent social media presence with an average of 2-3 posts on each platform per week.
- Help the chapter meet its goal of an updated and consistent web presence.
- The website is built in WordPress, and prior experience with WordPress or other website platforms is preferred but not required -- all that is needed is a willingness to learn.
- It is helpful if the Communications Coordinator is able to regularly attend Executive Committee meetings (2nd Thursday of each month at 7pm - usually held at the Watershed Resource Center but currently held over zoom) to learn about our chapter issues and gather content for website updates and social media posts.
About the Santa Barbara Chapter of the Surfrider Foundation: The Surfrider Foundation is a non-profit environmental organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of the world’s ocean, waves and beaches, for all people, through a powerful activist network. The Santa Barbara Chapter was started in 1990 and is entirely volunteer led.
Interested volunteers can contact Morgan at email@example.com or Aubrie at VolunteerCoordinator@santabarbara.surfrider.org. Please share a few sentences about why you are interested in the position, and what skills and experiences you bring to the team. Please submit an email of interest by October 31, 2020.